The London Institute of Space Policy and Law
Welcome to ISPL
- To carry out impartial study of space policies and related law.
- To promote sustainable use of outer space for the benefit of all.
- Educate and inform present and future policy-makers, judges and lawyers.
- To provide tools for the complex issues arising in the modern space sector.
- To apply a multi-disciplinary approach, informed by scientific, technical, economic and social factors.
- To foster a diverse international faculty, researchers and visiting scholars.
Who We Are
ISPL is an independent registered charity with a faculty of leading academics, legal and policy professionals, scientists and engineers, political scientists and managers and others active in the space sector around the world. Together we offer a wealth of knowledge and experience in different cultural settings.
World leaders in the space sector serve on our Board of Directors and Board of Advisers.
ISPL has close links with the UN Office of Outer Space Affairs (UNOOSA), national space agencies, commercial enterprises, law firms and academic institutions around the world. We collaborate with many educational and research organisations, and are associated with the Institute of Advanced Legal Studies, London University.
What We Do
- Research in space policy and law topics, independently or commissioned by international, government and private entities.
- Examine the merits and consequences of alternative policy and legal options available to states active in space.
- Encourage postgraduate research and degrees in space policy and space law. Provide undergraduate courses and lectures and complete modules as part of courses taught at other institutions, as well as industry and practitioner seminars on topical subjects.
- Offer continuing professional development (CPD) seminars and courses accredited by the Solicitors Regulatory Authority and the Bar Standards Board.
- Offer intensive certificate courses on space-related topics.
- Generate space policy and legal white papers, examining proposed or potential policies and laws.
- Publish our research reports, studies and background documents as well as other space law and policy material for open study online.
Limited Company registered in England & Wales no: 7034158
Charity no: 1137838